Born in New Haven, Vermont, May 14, 1839, C.E. Rider attended Oberlin College, studied in France, and received his M.D. from the University of Vermont in 1863. He came to Rochester as City Hospital's first Resident Physician in 1864. In 1866 he was appointed to the hospital's first specialty, the Department of Eye and Ear Diseases. He laid out the foundation for the Hospital's Out Patient Department where he delivered free medical care to the poor. He remained active with the Hospital until 1898.
In addition to his hospital duties, Dr. Rider served on the staff of St. Mary's Hospital. Among his accomplishments Dr. Rider was one of the founders of the American Otological Society, a prominent member of the American Ophthalmological Society, and a professor of Ophthalmology at the Geneva Medical School and later at Syracuse University.
Dr. Rider also served as Assistant Surgeon of the Fifty-fourth Regiment, New York National Guard. The unit was activated in July 1864 to guard the prison at Elmira for 100 days. He was mustered out with the Regiment November 10, 1864.
Upon retirement Dr. Rider pursued business interests in New York City where he developed the world's largest manufacturing establishment for hardwood floors in the United States. He died at his country home in Cappaqua in Westchester County on January 31, 1909.