The Hospital's first surgeon, Harvey F. Montgomery, was born in Rochester, New York, on July 21, 1818. He was graduated from Princeton College and the University of Pennsylvania where he received his M.D. in 1842. During the Civil War Dr. Montgomery was the medical officer for local recruits, and then following the war he became a pension examiner for the local veterans.
He was elected to the City Hospital's Board of Directors in June 1847. Along with Dr. Dean he comprised the medical staff when the hospital opened in 1864. In 1872 he became the first President of the newly organized Medical Staff, a position he held until his death on November 9, 1884.