Requirements for Admission
- 17 years of age or older
- High school diploma or equivalency
- Successfully complete the Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS) entrance exam
- Completion of college-level classes English 101 and Psychology 101 at a regionally accredited college
- Essay (included in the application)
- 3 current references. Please use the reference form to submit references
Please note: $50 application fee due at time of submission
Applying for Admissions
- Applications are accepted online only. For August Admissions: Deadline is June 1st. For January Admissions: Deadline is October 14th. Note: all parts of the application need to be completed by the deadline to be considered for admission
- Complete all sections of the online application including essay and submit your nonrefundable application fee of $50.00.
- An entrance exam is required for all applicants. Exam dates are scheduled on an ongoing basis. A test fee is required. Photo ID will be required for admission to the test. Click here for information on the ATI Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS) registration and study guides. Note: Please create a free account with ATI before registering.
- Official transcripts are required from your high school and any college you have attended. If you have a GED, a copy of your High School Equivalency grades must be sent with your application. If your records are in any other name, please be sure your current name is on the transcript
Request the transcripts to be sent to:
Isabella Graham Hart School of Practical Nursing
1630 Portland Avenue
Rochester, New York 14621
- References: Give these to people such as employers, clergy, professional acquaintances, health care workers, committee members, teachers and counselors. Completed forms are mailed directly to the school. Do not give reference forms to close friends or relatives. Click here for our reference form.
- If your scores are satisfactory on the TEAS Exam and your application is complete, you will be notified to schedule an interview.
- After faculty review of all components of your application, you will be notified in writing of either: a decision to admit, placement on the waiting list, or decision to decline admission. Admission decisions are made by the faculty on a rolling basis. To reserve your place after written acceptance in the upcoming class, a nonrefundable tuition payment is required.
IGH is the only practical nursing program in the area to offer advanced placement. Students join the ongoing class in either January or June, in the second semester.
Prerequisites for application are:
A grade of C or better on the following college courses completed within 5 years of IGH program start date:
- Anatomy and Physiology
- Developmental Psychology
- Intro to Psych
- English Composition / Writing
- Fundamentals of Nursing
The student must have documentation from their prior nursing school of the completion of 185 hours of lab/clinical completed within 5 years of IGH program start date.
Admission Process for IGH
- Call the admissions coordinator at 922-1400
- Complete application for admission via IGH website
- Submit information on prerequisites via an official transcript
- Submit high school transcript (needed for State Boards)
- Three letters of recommendation
- Interview with faculty
- Complete Standardized Exam through ATI testing for content of Nursing Fundamentals and receive a grade of 2 or greater to proceed with admission
- Complete math calculation exam and receive a grade of 90% or greater
- If you are successful on 1 and 2 you will be scheduled to do a demonstration of skills in the lab
Attend orientation sessions prior to the beginning of class
AP students that will begin classes in June would need to have the completed application, required documentation and testing by the end of March.
AP students that will begin classes in January would need to have the completed application, required documentation and testing by the end of September.
We are proud of our success rate at IGH. Here is the data for 2015:
Program Completion rates: IGH average: 90.4%
Job Placement rates 4-6 months after program completion: 100%
Students would recommend the program (surveyed 6 months after completing the program): 100%