Thank you for considering the Internal Medicine Residency Program at Rochester General Hospital. Here you will be challenged both clinically and academically, and supported by a team dedicated to your success.
Highlights of the program include:
- A strong clinical experience. Rochester General Hospital is a 528 bed tertiary referral center with one of the busiest emergency rooms in New York State. We serve a large inner city, suburban and rural population.
- Direct access to faculty who love to teach. I came here because of the opportunity to teach residents as well as practice, and so did the rest of the faculty in the Department of Medicine. It is part of the culture and tradition of Rochester General Hospital. Many of our attending faculty have made major contributions to the medical literature in both clinical and bench research.
- A rigorous academic environment. Our system of resident reports (overnight, intern and senior reports) stresses evidenced-based medicine and critical evaluation of the medical literature. Residents prepare weekly Professor’s Rounds in which a complex case is presented to a senior faculty member. We provide both MKSAP and New England Journal of Medicine Knowledge Plus to our residents.
- The opportunity to do research. Our program has a reputation for achievement in this area; we offer many options for research projects and abstracts, mentored by our faculty and supervised by an associate program director dedicated to this task.
- Education regarding principles of quality and patient safety. Our program’s goal is to provide our graduates with tools to analyze and improve on their own practice and work with team members to participate in and lead improvement projects that provide high quality, safe patient care.
- A rich outpatient experience. Our new, entirely resident-run clinic and geriatric/transitions of care rotation reflect our commitment to teach ambulatory care.
- The opportunity to advance your career after residency. In our Majors program, residents spend one day per week in a specialty or primary care clinic, bringing them closer to faculty in the field of their choice. The academic and research opportunities and direct contact with faculty lead to success in placement of our residents in fellowship and practice opportunities.
- A unique interdisciplinary simulation program that continues throughout the residency.
- A supportive, collegial place to learn medicine. Residency is challenging. However, in the right environment, it is an exhilarating experience where friends of a lifetime are made. Our residents are a remarkably diverse group that work as a team and support each other as family. We have a lot of fun along the way.
- A wonderful place to live. Rochester provides great schools, culture and convenience, and Western New York is beautiful all four seasons – especially winter. Take it from a native Rochesterian like me!
I hope you'll take a few moments to review our Web site. We hope you find that the Rochester General Hospital Internal Medicine Residency Program is a good fit for you.
Stephen Silver, M.D.
Rochester General Hospital
Internal Medicine Residency Program
Phone: (585) 922-4365
NRMP #: 1509140C0