Wayne County Emergency Medical Services Award Recipients Announced at 4th Annual Newark-Wayne Community Hospital EMS Awards
The 4th annual Emergency Medical Services (EMS) Recognition awards at Newark-Wayne Community Hospital (NWCH) were held on Saturday, June 21st. The award event and family picnic, is the hospital’s annual opportunity to recognize and thank EMS providers with nine separate awards for individuals and one agency award. This year, guests were treated with catering by Newark-Wayne Executive Chef, Dan Fernandez and his team and were surprised with a visit by Mercy Flight Central, the helicopter rescue team that serves Wayne County and the region.
“The individuals being honored (with these awards) represent the best in EMS care. We are so pleased to be able to recognize and thank them,” said Jamie Syrett, MD, director of Prehospital Care and master of ceremonies. “We couldn’t provide the same level of care without the skill and dedication that they provide every single day,” he added.
“I’m honored to work with such committed EMS providers,” said Peter Fenton, MD, chief of Emergency Care at Newark-Wayne. Dr. Fenton also spoke and gave out awards. “We think of this group as part of the overall care team and so it is reassuring to know that their commitment and skill is equal to any other providers in the state and region.”
The award recipients included:
- Basic Life Support Provider of the Year: Robert Barton, EMT, Savannah Ambulance
- Youth Provider of the Year: McKenna Martin, NAEMS
- EMS Communication Specialist of the Year: Richard Bond, Wayne County E-911
- EMS Leadership Award: William Kallusch, Silver Waters Ambulance
- EMS Educator of Excellence (two): Paul Harkness, Paramedic, Macedon Town EMS and James Lee, Paramedic, Wayne County Advanced Life Support
- Registered Nurse of Excellence: Lisa Ball, RN
- Physician of Excellence: Peter Fenton, MD, NWCH
- Advance Life Support Provider of the Year: Matthew Dunphy, Paramedic (NAEMS)
- EMS Agency of the Year: Walworth Ambulance
- Award of Excellence in EMS Activities: Paul Hyland, CEO, Mercy Flight Central.
Front, left to right:
Jamie Syrett, MD, Director of Prehospital Care, NWCH; Richard Bond, Wayne County E-911; Lisa Ball, RN; William Kallusch, Silver Waters Ambulance; Robert Barton, EMT, Savannah; McKenna Martin, (NAEMS); Melissa Robson, EMT, Walworth Ambulance; Cody Szatkowski, Driver, Walworth; Sandy Farbizio, EMT, Walworth; Karrie Bowers, Director of Operations, Walworth Ambulance; Paul Hyland, CEO, Mercy Flight Central (retired); Peter Fenton, MD, Chief of Emergency Services, NWCH