Veronica R. Chiesi Brown
Rochester Regional Health’s Intensive Care Unit (ICU) at Newark-Wayne Community Hospital has earned the Silver-Level Beacon Award for Excellence presented by the American Association of Critical-Care Nurses (AACN). The Beacon Award for Excellence recognizes hospital units that utilize measurable practices to improve patient and family outcomes and experience.
“We are proud that Newark-Wayne Community Hospital is our latest Beacon Award for Excellence winner,” said Debbie Stamps, EdD, vice president for quality, safety and innovation at Rochester Regional Health. “This is the fourth Beacon Award bestowed on the Rochester Regional Health family. I am thrilled that our skilled teams are continually being recognized for doing amazing work on behalf of our patients and their families.”
Rochester Regional’s four Beacon Awards for Excellence designations have been awarded within the last year:
- Intensive Care Unit (ICU) at Newark-Wayne Community Hospital earned the SILVER-Level Beacon Award for Excellence (through 5/2019)
- Surgical Intensive Care Unit (SICU) at Rochester General Hospital received the GOLD-Level Beacon Award for Excellence (through 2/2019)
- Cardiothoracic Intensive Care Unit (CTICU) at Rochester General Hospital received the SILVER-Level of the Beacon Award for Excellence (through 4/2019)
- Intensive Care Unit (ICU) at Unity Hospital received the SILVER-Level of the Beacon Award for Excellence (though 3/2019)
Rochester Regional Health can reapply for these designations at the expiration of each term.
About The Beacon Awards
The American Association of Critical-Care Nurses Beacon Award has three levels of designation with each recognizing significant milestones along a hospital unit’s journey. The Beacon Award signifies exceptional care through improved outcomes and greater overall satisfaction among patients and families. Any unit where the patient receives principal nursing care after admission can apply for a Beacon Award. The Beacon Award includes bronze, silver and gold levels so that a unit can chart its excellence journey over time. Beacon Award recipients receive a three-year designation. Applicants must respond to criteria questions in the following areas:
- Leadership Structures and Systems
- Appropriate Staffing and Staff Engagement Effective Communication
- Knowledge Management
- Learning and Development
- Evidence-based Practice and Processes
- Outcome Measurement
Rochester Regional Health is an integrated health services organization serving the people of Western New York, the Finger Lakes and beyond. The system includes five hospitals; primary and specialty practices, rehabilitation centers, ambulatory campuses and immediate care facilities; innovative senior services, facilities and independent housing; a wide range of behavioral health services; and ACM Medical Laboratory, a global leader in patient and clinical trials. Rochester Regional Health is the region’s second largest employer. Learn more at RochesterRegional.org.