The holidays are time for gatherings, celebrations, family, and friends. However, throughout the holiday it's important to keep your health and the health of your loved ones in mind. Our monthly Q&A series discusses different holiday season topics. Marizela Mehanovic, Recreation Coordinator at Rochester Regional Health’s Edna Tina Wilson Living Center in Greece, discusses gift ideas for loved ones living in nursing homes and other types of long-term care residences.
Rochester Regional Health
Q: What can I get someone I know in assisted living for the holidays?
A: There’s no need to go overboard with the gifts you buy for your loved one. Keep it simple! Here are some gift ideas for those living in nursing homes or other types of long-term residences:
- Soap, lotions and other toiletries
- Box of miscellaneous greeting cards with pre-stamped envelopes
- Filled picture frames and photo albums
- Homemade treats (if allowed)
- Lap blankets
- Homemade arts and crafts (from grandchildren)
- Favorite music on CD, radio if needed
- Large-print books and puzzles
- Housecoat and slippers
- Cardigan sweater
- New shirts and pants
- New blanket or afghan
- Pads of paper and pens to write notes
- Hats, scarves and gloves
- Stuffed animals
- Large dial watch or alarm clock
- Costume jewelry and hair accessories
For more information on Senior Housing and Retirement living opportunities through Rochester Regional Health, click here.