Dr. Joel McFarland and other members of our Rochester Regional Health Gastroenterology Department have been asking questions this month about colorectal cancer. Here's our latest one:
Q: Should I get a colonoscopy? Is it worth it?
A: Yes and yes. Here are some reasons why:
- Colon cancer is the 3rd most common cause of cancer in both men and women
- Colon cancer is the 2nd most common cause of cancer-related death
- Your chances of developing colon cancer in your lifetime are just about 5% - higher if you have any high risk indicators
- We routinely find colon polyps in nearly 40% of people on routine screening
- The peace of mind of having a normal exam is priceless