Requirements & Application
Thank you for your inquiry to work at the Rochester General Hospital Research Institute. At this time we are offering positions in the Center for Infectious Diseases and Immunology.
Our expectations of student summer research applicants are:
- A commitment of 8-10 weeks for the experience.
- We discourage any breaks but a week somewhere along the line is acceptable.
- We expect you will work about 20 hours per week.
- Interests vary and are often unknown, so we offer to have you learn more about the projects we have going, meet the individual scientists that you might work with and then try to match you up. Some students come in with experience and have a clear idea of the area they want to work in, so it will depend on your experience and interests.
- At the end of the summer we expect a paper to be written that is usually 8-10 pages similar to a scientific paper, including:
- Introduction (What is the area of research of the project?)
- Methods (What methods in the lab were applied to the project?)
- Results (What results were generated?)
- Discussion (How did this research advance the field). This includes references to the papers you have read during the summer.
- We pay a modest stipend to some students ($200 per week). After our stipends are committed we allow a small additional number of students to volunteer. So please indicate in your application if you are only interested in a stipend-supported position.
- We are particularly interested in students who might do a second summer or a project for credit with us. Please let us know your thoughts about that issue.
How to apply
If you're a student and are interested in our summer experience, there are a few key questions we would like for you to answer.To apply, answer the following questions in an email to KariAnn.Pedreira@RochesterRegional.org.
- When would you like to start?
- When would you stop to go back to school?
- Will you request a break to take vacation in the middle of the experience?
- What experience in a lab do you have if any?
- What are your interests?
- What do you hope to gain from the summer experience?
Acceptance is on a rolling basis with the available spots to be filled in March. Applications will be accepted January 1 through February 28.