How should I prepare for my exam?
Before your barium enema, you must consume a diet of only clear liquid for 24 hours preceding your appointment. This includes fruit juices (no pulp), soda, tea or coffee (without cream), broth, popsicles, Italian ices, hard candy, and JELL-O. You should try to consume an 8 oz. glass of water every hour for 10 hours the day before your appointment as well.
You must also:
- Take Citrate of Magnesia (10 oz.) 24 hours prior to the exam
- Take 3 tablets (5 mg each) of Dulcolax the evening prior to the exam after dinner
- Fleet enemas two hours before the exam (1 pint to 1 quart) until returns are clear
- Do not eat or drink the morning of the exam
- Do not smoke or chew gum the morning of the exam
Intravenous Pyelogram (IVP)
Before your IVP:
- Take 3 tablets (5 mg. each) of Dulcolax, OR 10 OZ. OF Citrate of Magnesia, the night before the exam.
- Do not eat or drink anything after 10:00 pm the night before the exam.
0-10yrs – Nothing to eat or drink 4 hours prior to exam.
11yrs-adult – Nothing to eat or drink after midnight.
Small Bowel Series
Nothing to eat or drink after midnight.
Nothing to eat or drink 1 hour prior to exam if possible.