Whether you’re recovering from surgery, a sports injury or a spinal condition, our therapists will provide expert rehabilitative services for your orthopaedic issues, including:
- Arthritis. While there is no cure for arthritis, evidence is growing that you can manage joint pain and other pain symptoms with a combination of therapies. Your team may recommend exercises to strengthen the muscles around your joints and manual therapy to reduce stiffness and improve your range of motion. Our aquatic therapy is especially effective when traditional exercise is difficult.
- Back/Neck/Spinal Care. Did you know that 90% of the population experiences spine symptoms at least once in their lifetime? Many people have neck and back pain, but it can also travel into your arms or radiate into your buttocks, groin, hips or legs and feet. Each episode of back stiffness and pain can become progressively worse, last longer and travel farther from its point of origin. If you don't stop the cycle and figure out the cause of these episodes, the damage can accumulate and lead to the eventual failure of your spinal structures.
Physical therapy for your back and neck focuses on the structures that support the spine and its joints, including muscles, tendons and ligaments. We will educate you on your injury, proper posture and body mechanics — and we will help accelerate your healing by:
- Reducing inflammation
- Restoring muscular flexibility, joint mobility and spine motion
- Strengthening the involved muscles
We also offer a unique resource for people with spinal issues: the Unity Spine Center. One call puts you in touch with a nurse navigator who will help coordinate your care with a variety of specialists and customized treatment programs.
And our Work Hardening Program is an individualized, job-specific program designed to help you get back to work. Our experienced physical and occupational therapists tailor daily therapy activities to your needs. The program is delivered by and managed by certified Workers Compensation health care providers.
Pediatrics. Our team works in conjunction with pediatric orthopaedic surgeons to help your child move toward full recovery from their injury, whether it’s a fracture, sprain or post-surgical rehab.
- Sports-Related Injuries: Don’t let your sports injury keep you on the sidelines! Injuries may be caused by poor training methods, inadequate warm-up, lack of conditioning or any number of issues. The most common sports injuries include sprains, strains, acute injuries, muscle spasms, shin splints, fractures and dislocations. Physical and occupational therapy helps you rebuild strength and movement. It can also help you manage pain and prevent permanent damage or recurring problems. We also provide specialized post-operative rehabilitation for patients of all ages who are recovering from surgery related to sports-related injuries.
- Total Joint Replacement: If you’re having a joint replaced (knee, hip or shoulder replacement or hemi-arthroplasty), our specialized therapists offer pre- and post-surgical care. After your joint replacement, physical and occupational therapy are essential to help your new joint function properly by strengthening the surrounding muscles, further reducing your swelling and minimizing joint/tissue pain.
Learn more about Joint Replacement. Unity Hospital, Rochester General Hospital and United Memorial Medical Center have earned the Joint Commission Joint Seal of Approval™ for excellence in hip and knee replacements, and Unity’s Charles J August Joint Replacement Center does more joint replacements than any other facility in Rochester.
Learn more about our Orthopaedics services.