Our speech language pathologists are professionals who specialize in treating communication, cognitive and swallowing problems in both children and adults. We start with a thorough diagnostic evaluation and then create a customized treatment plan. We work collaboratively with you and your family on this plan, and consult with your physician and other highly trained professionals within our health system as needed.
Your treatment may involve working on some or all of the following:
- Language: Language disorders can affect your listening and reading comprehension and/or verbal and written skills. These result from damage to the language centers of your brain following a stroke, brain injury or other neurological change.
- Speech: After a stroke or brain injury, nervous system damage may cause issues with sequencing sounds into syllables or words. Weak muscles may cause your speech to be slow or uncoordinated. We assess and address articulation, voice, fluency, rhythm and rate.
- Cognitive communication: We can help you improve your attention, concentration, perception, orientation, memory, judgment, problem solving, reasoning and information processing or new learning.
- Swallowing: Several of our speech language pathologists have received board certification in swallowing and swallowing disorders. We offer state-of-the-art, evidence-based assessment and treatment for swallowing issues, including:
- Modified barium swallow
- Fiberoptic Endoscopic Evaluation of Swallowing (FEES)
- Vital Stim therapy
- iPad communication and cognitive software
- Surface electromyography (SEMG)-assisted biofeedback