United Memorial Surgical Associates
The United Memorial Surgical Associates Group is an integral part of United Memorial Medical Center. Our surgeons, Dr Andrea Zucchiatti, Dr. Samar Alami, Dr Patrick Iannoli, Dr Jennifer Griffith, Dr John Risolo and Dr Hovaness Maronian are board certified in surgery and fellows of the American College of Surgeons. We offer patients a wide variety of surgical procedures, ranging from general to more specialized and minimally-invasive interventions providing our community with excellent surgical care close to home. Our group is affiliated with the Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine, whose students regularly rotate with our attendings at United Memorial to learn about rural / general surgery. The group also supports and provides data to the National Surgical Quality Improvement Project (NSQIP), which allows us to compare our outcomes with other hospitals throughout the nation and address - if present - areas of improvement, with the goal of providing our patients with the best surgical care possible.
The procedures that our surgeons are able to offer you include the following:
- Drainage and care of abscesses
- Treatment of malignant and benign breast disease
- Placement of vascular access for delivery of chemotherapy or other intravenous medications
- Drainage of chest fluid, both in the acute setting and for long-term care
- Drainage of abdominal fluid, both in the acute setting and for long-term care
- Excision of malignant and benign skin and soft tissue lesions
- Treatment of hemorrhoids with latest available technology
- Placement of vein filters for prevention of lung blood clots
- Repair of inguinal and abdominal wall hernias in a minimally invasive fashion
- Removal of gallbladders through single incision, near-scarless surgery
- Removal of appendices in a minimally invasive fashion
- Removal of colon and small intestine in a minimally invasive fashion
- Placement of feeding tubes
- Skin grafting
- Biopsy of temporal arteries
- Treatment of thyroid nodules and parathyroid tumors causing high calcium levels
- Endoscopic airway evaluation
- Upper and lower endoscopies for evaluation of gastrointestinal issues
- Fecal transplantation for recurrent or persistent Clostridium difficile infection
If you have a question about a surgical issue, please feel free to contact us at (585) 344-5470 to discuss further or set up an appointment to see one of our providers.
|Bernard Asher, MD
Dr. Asher completed his undergraduate at Brown University and earned his medical degree from SUNY at Syracuse. He completed residencies at New England Center Hospital and Boston City Hospital and Bronx-Lebanon Hospital Center. Dr. Asher is board certified in general surgery by the American Board of Surgery.
Andrea Zucchiatti, MD
Dr. Zucchiatti graduated Medical School at the Universita’ degli Studi di Genova, Italy in 2005. He then decided to move to the United States to receive top surgical training. He worked as a Research Fellow in the Trauma / Burn / Emergency Surgery Division at the University of Rochester Medical Center (Rochester, NY) for one year and subsequently matched into the General Surgery Residency Program at the same Institution, graduating the Program in 2012. During his residency, Dr. Zucchiatti was exposed to all surgical subspecialties in-depth, but eventually decided that he wanted to pursue a career in community / general surgery, allowing people living in the country access to general as well as more specialized surgical care without having to travel to major medical centers.
He performs a wide variety of surgical procedures, ranging from the basic ones (minimally-invasive gallbladder and appendix removal, skin and soft tissue lesions removal, drainage of abscesses) to complex minimally-invasive surgery (bowel resection, inguinal and abdominal wall hernia repairs), hemorrhoid surgery, thyroid and parathyroid surgery, long-term vascular access placement (central lines and MediPorts) as well as endoscopy (EGD, colonoscopy and bronchoscopy). He is also certified in Hyperbaric Medicine and Wound Care and is a panel physician for United Memorial’s Wound Care Center.
Samar Alami, MD
Dr. Alami earned her medical degree from the Dartmouth Medical School in Hanover, New Hampshire. She completed her residency at the University of Rochester Medical Center in the General Surgery department. Dr. Alami also completed her fellowship at the Anne Arudel Medical Center in Annapolis, Maryland.
229 Summit Street, Suite 4
Batavia, NY 14020
Office Hours: Monday - Friday: 8 am - 4 pm