Healthgrades Five-Star Delivery Awards
The team at Unity Hospital has received the Healthgrades C-Section Delivery Award this year, and the Vaginal Delivery Five-Star Award for the last two years (2019-2020). The five-star ratings indicate the hospital's clinical outcomes for C-sections and vaginal delivery are statistically better than expected.
Learn More about the Awards
There’s no better place to welcome your new baby to the world than the August Family Birth Place at Unity Hospital in Rochester, NY.
Inside the August Family Birth Place, you’ll find a safe, comfortable, nurturing environment, caring Unity staff, outstanding medical resources, and reassuring labor-to-recovery experience that gives you and your family privacy and peace of mind.
You Want the Very Best for Your Baby. So Do We!
At the August Family Birth Place, you’ll get exceptional care—24 hours day, seven days a week:
- Expert obstetricians and pediatric care on-site. If complications arise, you’ll get the assistance you need right away
- On-site anesthesiologists to help with pain management & assist with C-section deliveries
- Computerized systems to monitor your baby’s heartbeats & your contractions
A Safe, Comfortable, Secure Birth Experience
From the moment you check in to the day you leave, we strive to provide you with a memorable birth experience, complete with amenities for your comfort:
- Spacious private birth suites for you & your family
- Whirlpool baths
- An electronic infant security system
- Special “locked unit” design to ensure safety for you and your baby
Take a virtual tour of the August Family Birth Place below.
Sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS) is the leading cause of death among infants between 1 month and 1 year of age. This is what you can do to help your baby sleep safely and to reduce your baby’s risk of SIDS.
What does an infant safe sleeping environment look like?
To create a safe sleep environment:
- Always place a baby on his or her back to sleep, for naps and at night, to reduce the risk of SIDS.
- Use a firm sleep surface, covered by a fitted sheet; a crib, bassinet, portable crib or play yard that conforms to the safety standards of the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) is recommended.
- Your baby should not sleep in an adult bed, on a couch or on a chair alone, with you, or with anyone else.
- Keep your baby’s sleep area in the same room where you sleep (for the infant's first year). Room sharing, not bed-sharing. Always place the baby in a safety-approved crib, bassinet, portable crib for sleep.
- Sitting devices like bouncy seats, swings, infant carriers or strollers should not be used for routine sleep.
- Keep soft objects such as pillows and blankets, toys and bumpers out of your baby’s sleep area.
- Wedges and positioners should not be used.
- Do not smoke during pregnancy or allow smoking around your baby.
- Do not let your baby get too hot during sleep.
- Breastfeed your baby.
- Give your baby a dry pacifier that is not attached to a string for naps and at night to reduce the risk of SIDS after breastfeeding is established.
- Supervised Skin to Skin is recommended to all mothers and infants immediately following birth regardless of feeding or delivery, (as soon as the mother is medically stable, awake and able to respond to her newborn) and to continue for at least an hour. Once the mother starts to get sleepy, return the baby to bassinet.
- Follow health care provider guidance on your baby’s vaccines and regular health checkups.
For additional information and education on safe sleep please visit Cribs for Kids.
Call (585) 368-4020 today to get started.