Preparing for Your First Visit
The day before your appointment, you will receive a reminder call. Please arrive 30 minutes prior to your scheduled appointment and bring the following:
- A current medication list
- Your insurance card
- A photo ID such as a driver’s license or ID card
- Results of any MRI, X-Ray, CT, EMG or diagnostic test related to your condition
- Relevant medical records, especially those from other pain management physicians
During Your First Visit – What to Expect
1) At your appointment, our nurses and physicians will ask a series of questions to understand your pain:
- Where are you hurting?
- How bad is the pain?
- How would you describe your pain?
- When do you experience the pain – is it constant or does it come and go?
- What seems to help and what doesn’t?
- How is this impacting your life?
2) Your physician will conduct a thorough medical examination to identify the cause of your pain. Evaluation techniques include:
- Physical examination
- Neurological examination
- Musculoskeletal examination
Additional evaluation techniques may include:
- Diagnostic nerve blocks
- Diagnostic tests (x-ray, CT scan, MRI, PET scan)
- Electromyography (nerve conduction studies)
3) The Spine & Pain team will present a comprehensive treatment plan to bring you real relief.
Your nurse navigator will be your partner through every step of the process - before, during, and after your first appointment. They will answer any questions you may have and coordinate your care with our teams.