COVID-19 Updates: Get the latest information from our experts: Vaccines Testing Visitor Guidelines Closings

General Content

RGH Clinical Laboratory Technology Program FAQs

  1. What is the advantage of participating in a Program utilizing two large sites?
    The clinical year is the professional component of your clinical laboratory science degree. It is your chance to maximize your exposure to a wide range of experiences! Rotating at two large state-of-the-art laboratories presents a rich and unique opportunity to experience a tremendous range of clinical material both normal and abnormal, to see up-to-date instrument systems and more unusual testing modalities, and to be exposed to experienced and knowledgeable faculty at both sites. Small rotational groups within each Division still ensure individualized attention. Graduates are excellently prepared after such extensive education.

  2. How does payment of tuition work?
    Tuition for the clinical year at Rochester General Hospital is generally tied to the current State University of New York (SUNY) undergraduate full time in-state tuition. Some affiliated colleges wish the student to pay the Program directly; other affiliates wish the student to pay tuition to the college, and the Program to then bill the college.

  3. When is tuition due?
    Tuition bills are prepared in the fall (1/2) and mid-winter the following year (1/2).

  4. When does the program start?
    The program usually begins the first working Monday in August. Every few years the start date will be the second working Monday in August because the calendar progresses ahead each year; an adjustment needs to be made. Graduation takes place 51 weeks later, in July of the following year.

  5. Do students obtain final grades at the end of the program?
    Yes. A final transcript is prepared with a grade for each major discipline. These transcripts are mailed to the college registrars on graduation day in July, and the clinical year is then posted on the student’s transcript, in fulfillment of degree requirements. Please note that the final semester hours and credits are decided upon, and granted by, the college or university since the academic affiliate is the degree-granter.

  6. When do students take the national certifying exam which is also the NYS licensure exam?
    Students are eligible to take the ASCP Board of Certification exam after graduation from the Program. Most students will sit the exam within 1-6 weeks after finishing Program, although some wait a little longer if they have extenuating circumstances. We urge students to review thoroughly and sit the exam shortly after graduation.

  7. When can graduates start doing clinical work as Clinical Laboratory Technologists?
    In New York State individuals must at least have the Limited Permit in order to do any clinical work as Technologists. The Limited Permit allows the individual to work as a Technologist until such time as a passing score on the Board of Certification exam (also used for NYS licensing exam) is submitted to NYS Dept of Education from the ASCP. The Limited Permit is good for one year only. The graduate must have their permanent License by that time. Any specific questions need to be directed to the NYS Department of Education, Office of the Professions.

  8. What are employment opportunities and outlook?
    They are excellent. With increasing numbers of retirements, increased laboratory testing, and an aging population, the demand for qualified Clinical Laboratory Technologists is strong. Many graduates of our program elect to stay within the greater Rochester health care community and build rewarding careers. Others join other health systems, attend graduate school, or join large instrument manufacturers/vendors, or biotechnology companies.

  9. What do BS holders do if they wish to apply?
    Those who already hold a BS in the sciences must now matriculate at a college or university that will confer either a second BS in MT/CLS, or an advanced certificate of completion, upon them when they successfully complete the clinical year. Potential students in this situation should call and/or meet with the program adviser or director at the college or university under consideration. The college or university will then evaluate the student’s transcripts to determine what courses would be transferred in, and what courses would need to be taken in order for the student to be enrolled in the major. The student may contact the NYS Department of Education to find out which colleges or universities in NYS are deemed licensure-qualifying for MT/CLS. (518) 474-3817 option 1, extension 150).