This non-invasive treatment is clinically proven to significantly relieve symptoms for up to three years in nearly 80% of patients who undergo this outpatient therapy. We are the Exclusive provider of this therapy to the Greater Rochester and Southern Tier areas.
EECP therapy is a noninvasive, outpatient option when managing angina and heart failure, when other therapies have failed. This therapy is given five days a week, only one hour each day for a total of 35 visits and the relief, can last three years.
What is EECP Therapy
- EECP therapy is a noninvasive, outpatient option when managing angina and heart failure, when other therapies have failed.
- This therapy is given five days a week, only one hour each day for a total of 35 visits and the relief can last three years.
What to expect at treatment
- At each session you will lie on a cushioned exam bed and a technician will place large blood pressure cuffs around the legs and buttocks.
- These cuffs are timed to inflate and deflate between your heart beats. An EKG runs for the duration of the visit and is used to set the timing of the cuffs so they inflate when the heart is at rest and deflate just before the next heart beat.
- You will wear a sensor on your finger to measure your oxygen level in your blood and the pressure waves created by the cuffs pulsation.
EECP may be right for you if
- You have heart failure or angina that medication no longer relieves.
- You have returning symptoms after open heart surgery, angioplasty or other invasive procedures and you have been told another procedure is not an option.
- Your doctor will need to review your medical history and examine you to decide if EECP is an option to help relieve your symptoms.
How does EECP work
- By increasing the blood and oxygen supply to your heart muscle while at rest, this therapy decreases the amount of work your heart has to do to pump blood to the rest of your body.
- EECP may also help your body form “natural bypass” by increasing the likelihood of blood vessels opening small channels that become extra branches. These branches can deliver increase blood supply to the heart
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What are the benefits of EECP?
A: Generally patients experience the following benefits:
- Decrease in angina symptoms to
- no angina at all
- Having more energy
Q: Is the treatment comfortable?
A: You will feel the pressure of the cuffs around your legs and buttocks. After a few sessions patients often become accustomed to this pressure and the treatment time passes comfortably.
Q: How will I feel after a session?
A: You may feel tired after the first few treatments, as EECP is often described as “passive exercise”. This is normal and expected if you
haven’t been exercising. Generally after a short period you will begin to have more energy as your muscles become familiar with the process.
Q: What if I miss an appointment?
A: We will reschedule your session to ensure you complete the full 35 hours. Please keep in mind that in order to receive the greatest benefit it is best to keep your treatments each day.
Q: Will my insurance cover this?
A: Medicare covers EECP treatments and most private insurances have similar coverage to Medicare.